Former Williamson County Family Court Judge Simplifies Adoptions for Families
Guiding families through adoption
Kevin Henderson Attorney at Law delivers reliable results for families seeking to adopt in and around Williamson County. With more than 30 years of family law experience, I have knowledge you can rely on.
Texas adoption rules
Adoption is the process for a person to become a legal member of a family other than by birth or marriage. Each state has slightly different rules for the adoption process. There are basic rules for adopting a child in Texas:
- Adoptive parents must be over the age of 21
- Adoptive parents must be financially stable
- There is no maximum age for adoptive parents
- Adoptive parents must agree to a background check including
- Marriage and divorce history
- Criminal background check
- Home visits to evaluate members of the household and the home itself
- Adoptive parents must complete a home study and parenting training class
- Adoptive parents must complete PRIDE training
For more information on Texas adoption rules, contact a family law firm in Georgetown, Texas.
Adopting a stepchild is the most frequent type of adoption. A stepparent who adopts agrees to be completely responsible for his or her spouse’s child. After the stepparent adoption is complete, the noncustodial parent (the parent not living with the child) no longer has any rights or responsibilities for the child, including child support or visitation.
The stepparent adoption process is generally easier than a typical adoption. For instance, in a stepparent adoption, a home evaluation may not be necessary. If an adoptive stepparent proves the noncustodial parent is unfit or absent, his or her consent is not needed.
Contact a Georgetown, TX adoption attorney for a free consultation
Kevin Henderson Attorney at Law is experienced in family law, providing legal services you can rely on. Serving Williamson County, Round Rock, Austin, Temple and Bastrop, I have more than 30 years of family law experience, with eight years as a county court at law judge. Call today to set up your consultation at 512.887.1996 or contact me online.